Who Can Apply?
Individuals in genuine need of our service due to unemployment and/or health issues, low-income families, or new immigrants are all welcome. We will serve everyone with dignity and respect, regardless of race or religion. If you would like to use our service, please call to register or bring required documents and visit us during opening hours.
How to Apply?
Please see our hours of operation and schedule. On your first visit, we will conduct an intake interview. Please bring the following required documents to register, along with grocery bags:
- Proof of current address (e.g., utilities bills or bank statements)
- Photo I.D.: self and family members (see list below *)
- Proof of income: social assistance (see list below +), pay slip, or Income Tax Assessment
- Rental agreement or receipt
* Valid photo I.D. includes: driver’s license, permanent resident card, Ontario photo card, Canadian passport, birth certificate, student card (health card is NOT an acceptable form of Photo I.D. and can only be obtained by health care practitioners)
+ Social assistance statements include: Canada Child Tax Benefit, Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program, Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, Guaranteed Income Supplement, Ontario Retirement Pension Plan, Ontario Student Assistance Program
All personal information is confidential, is used only by GCFS to better understand our clients’ circumstances, and will not be shared with any other organizations.
What Do We Provide?
Each client will be provided a two- to three-day supply of food over a two-week period for each visit.
We will check with our client to see what their food preferences are and will prepare the food hamper according to each client’s food preferences and needs. If you have any dietary restrictions or medical conditions, or are allergic to any type of food, please let us know.
Food Bank Use Policy
Each client is expected to review and follow our Food Bank Use Policy.
- Our doors open at 10:00 a.m. and will not be opened earlier than the set time.
- Our registration cut-off time is 11:30 a.m.
- Clients must register first before using our service and should provide the required identification and documents.
- A waiver must be signed. In the case of any food allergies, clients must inform our staff at the time of registration.
- There is no exchange on food items, only returns. There are no exceptions.